Friday, November 23, 2012

Chicken and Cabbage

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday, I ate to my hearts content, but didn't over do it.  We spent the day at a friends house eating with her family, and the kids had a blast!  It's so nice being here in NJ I immediately was welcomed here and the friendships that I have made in the few short months feel like they have been life long.  And for that I am extremely Thankful.  I hope everyone else had as good of a celebration as we did.   

I tried to be conservative in the amount of food I ate, I didn't deny myself if I wanted more.  I did go on a 4 mile run to try to off set all the extra calories I knew I was going to be consuming, that way I didn't feel too guilty for eating 2nds of anything.  Regardless of what I think I did right, I'm afraid that the scale won't reflect a negative number this week.  Hopefully it won't be hard to jump back on the diet.  Today was not that day, it was all about the leftovers!  I tried to be good, but there was just too many good leftovers that needed to be eaten.  Luckily we didn't have much left so I won't have to worry about falling off the wagon tomorrow.

This is how I did today:

Pre-Breakfast:
1 cup warm water with lemon and honey
Breakfast:
Apple
Activia
Lunch:
1/2 Sweet Potato casserole
1/2 Green bean casserole
Turkey, no skin
Slice of Cranberry sauce
Layered Pumpkin dessert
Dinner:
Chicken and Cabbage over Mashed Cauliflower
Dessert:
Pumpkin cream cheese pie, that I shared with Theo.
1/2 cup Milk

I love making up my own recipes, tonight I made my Chicken and Cabbage dish that I was influenced by when we went to Hawaii.  Here's the recipe in case you like cabbage as much as I do:
Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil in big pot, I used to use Olive oil, but I love coconut anything and now Costco sells these big tubs of the Organic kind for the same price as a small jar from Wal-Mart!  Bonus!

Tenderize chicken by pounding it out a bit with a mallet.  I used 5 chicken breasts, but I also am feeding a small army.
Chop chicken into bite size pieces and throw in the pot with the melted coconut oil.  Season with salt and pepper.

Once the chicken is cooked, remove to a bowl.
Add 2 cups water.

Add Teriyaki (I don't measure when it comes to cooking, but I would say approximately 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup), and about 1 tsp of ground ginger
I chopped up a whole head of cabbage while the chicken was cooking.

Then add it to the pot with the liquid mixture.

Wilt it down, stirring frequently to distribute the sauce all over the cabbage.

Add the chicken, stir, cover and cook for about 30 minutes.


 I've eaten this over rice usually, but since being on the diet it is awesome over Cauliflower mash.  I just steamed the cauliflower, then added some lite sour cream, salt and pepper.  Then with my hand blender I just puree it all together till it's smooth.  It's sooo good!  I hope you'll try it, and mostly that you will like it.

2 comments:

Britt Family said...

I love cabbage! I am so going to try that recipe.

Carole said...

I do like your chicken and cabbage dish. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if it is ok with you if I link to it on my blog, Carole's Chatter. Cheers