Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Iceland Roots



Tonight is our Quarterly Enrichment night at church. My sister who is the Enrichment Leader started to tell me months ago that the theme was going to be International night. I have to admit, I was less than thrilled about this theme. We have done it so many times before, and I just couldn't really relate to it. They ask the ladies to randomly pick a country that they have to put together a table presentation, make a native dish and speak briefly about that country.

But I always felt disconnected to this activity, because unless I am going there, there is no amount of Schnitzel that is going to give me the true German experience, for example.

Then Rochelle (my sister) continued to tell me that this theme has a twist. We are going to incorporate genealogy to the theme! You actually have to do some genealogy and find out where you ancestors come from and that is the country you are going to present. BRILLIANT! What a great way to make this more personable!

I could have gone with my royal heritage and done my Creek background, but we actually have a couple of ladies in the ward that have Native American ancestry and signed up before we did. So instead we went with Iceland! My brother, Ruffin, was doing some genealogy of his own and was able to take our line all the way back to the Vikings in Iceland! Pretty cool if you ask me. We are actually related to a Thor, who had a son named Odin.

I'm making this, just don't ask me to pronounce it! I love doing genealogy! It is so fascinating to me to find out where you came from. And now a days it is so easy to find out with all our technology. There are so many websites you could try, and it really is fun. I encourage you to check it out and see where you come from.

No comments: