Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mormon Confessions


Hahaha!  I love this!  But then I was wondering, why, if there are so many members and missionaries out there, do so many others still think we are so secretive?  All our information is out there, you can download the Book of Mormon for free on any phone, ipad, Kindle or any other electronic device for free. You can download all the General Conferences (bi-annual conferences where the Prophet and the Apostles speak to us) on itunes for free.  You can go to www.lds.org to  read anything and everything about our belief. 

Why then are we still considered secretive? 

I think the answer lies within the members.  Yes these fine young men devote 2 years of their lives to go out there and preach full time, but realistically, how many people are they going to teach?  And even if they could knock on every door in their area, how many would actually let them in and listen to their message?  Members are everywhere, we are in the community, we are your neighbors, and yet you may never know.  We are taught to go out there and be good examples, but I came up with a metaphor that I think some members forget the most important part of being a good example:

"You (members of the LDS church) are the billboard for the church, make sure the name of the company isn't left off."

We can be the best example there is out there, but if people don't know our religion then they are just going to think we are just really awesome nice people. 

I actually came to this conclusion years ago, but I still struggle with sharing this very important part of me with others, why?  I think it's because Mormons are also people pleasers.  We want to help, we want to lift up, we want to bake you a casserole and be your friend.  I think it is the possibility that we will offend someone with our beliefs that we remain tight lipped.  I'm just speaking from experience here, there may be a million of reasons why it's hard for someone to share their religious views with others, but growing up in the Bible belt I have had my fair share of people telling me I was going to hell because of my Mormon beliefs.  So that does make me a little hesitant to share, and my pulse quickens every time it gets brought up as to what religion I am.  Are these people going to accept me for who I am, or are they going to lay into me about how we worship 'ole Joe Smith and polygamy?

Which on a side note, to say that we worship Joseph Smith because he started the church and gave us the Book of Mormon is to say all Christians worship Moses for leading his people through the Red Sea and gave them the 10 commandments.  And for the umpteenth time, we DO NOT practice polygamy anymore, it was one of those times when the Lord said it was necessary, probably much in the same way it was necessary when Abraham of the Old Testament was a prophet and had multiple wives...just saying.

But I digress...I have come across people who are skeptical of us because we are so helpful.  They wonder what is in it for us, what are we up to that we can give so freely?  Well guess what, there is something in it for me.  I have complete selfish reasons to help you, it brings ME joy!  It gives ME the light of Christ!  When we are in the service of our fellowman we are in the service of our Lord (Mosiah 2:17) and there is no greater joy than to serve Him. I may not even know you, but I'm going to help you out to the best of my ability because I know that Heavenly Father loves you.  And because I love Him I going to do everything I can to help others.

We believe that it is only through our Savior, Jesus Christ that we are saved and can return to him and our Heavenly Father.  We believe in the Bible and that the whole reason for the Book of Mormon is to prove that the Bible is true, that Jesus did live, die for us and rose again! 

I have been contemplating writing this post for awhile, but I kept chickening out.  Then I read this that a missionary in this area posted today on Facebook:

The Fellowship of the Unashamed
I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I am a disciple of JESUS CHRIST. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, or dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don’t have to be right, first, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on his presence, walk with patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised detoured, lured away, divided, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won’t give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up and paid up for the cause of CHRIST. I must go until he comes, give until I drop, preach until all know and work until He stops me. And when he returns for his own, He’ll have no problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear. I WILL NOT BE ASHAMED!

You may not believe in what I believe, just please don't persecute what you know nothing about.  I will make it my goal to put myself more out there, both in my community and on my blog.  I can only pray that I have been the good example that the Lord would be proud of, and hopefully by doing this more walls can be brought down and the majority of the public out there won't think of us as a secretive people.

5 comments:

Kara and Theo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kara said...

At least people lay into you about "old Joe" and whatnot when they know you are Mormon. Sometimes I think that would be better...to know where I stand with people. I seem to get the response of..."Oh." And then nothing. Crickets chirping. And that's the end of it. I never know how they feel about it, if they feel anything. I never know where to go from there. The vague silent treatment is a tough one to decipher.

Jessica Reid said...

AMEN!

Carole said...

Good on you for standing up for what you believe in. Have a great week.

PS You did some time ago link in a great dish to Food on Friday: Bacon. I now realize that I haven't been following your blog. Sorry about that. I have signed up to follow now. It would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back. Have a super week.

Carole said...

Thanks Kara and Theo for following Carole's Chatter. Cheers