Saturday, May 23, 2009

Nostalgic Days

Get ready, I'm about to lay down some deep genius. (I don't even know if that makes sense, but it sounds cool.)

When we were on our way home from Theo's Graduation we were driving through Oakland and I was noticing all the old run down warehouses with graffiti on them. I started thinking about when they were first built and how they were admired and needed. Someone built that building just opening a new business perhaps and took pride in their accomplishment and this building. Now years later, this once booming industrial area is run down with the broken windows, rust and vandalism to show for it.

Then I started thinking about some of the beautiful well taken care of buildings of the world. Things like Cathedrals, Castles, architectural wonders that are maintained and admired hundreds of years after they were built.

I compare this to my memory. When I leave this earth will I be forgotten, just a fading memory that slowly deteriorates, 'out of sight, out of mind' type of thing. Or will people remember me and cherish those moments we had together. Is what I do in life going to have a positive effect on people? Can I benefit those in need? Am I teaching my children the value of serving others?

I don't know why I have been thinking a lot about this lately, maybe it's because of the 30 year mile stone this year, or maybe it's having to leave my friends in a month. Both very big events that have got the wheels of enlightenment turning. Whatever it is I hope it leads to serving others and creating memories that will be cherished long after I have gone.

1 comment:

The Lemon Family said...

or maybe its because you are reading three cups of tea and greg is an amazing person doing crazy/amazing things (loved the book by the way) and LOVE you!!