Friday, February 25, 2011

Mardi Gras Time!

Last Friday was the first of the Mobile Mardi Gras parades. I will always have a soft spot for the Mobile Mardi Gras parades. So many people always associate New Orleans with Mardi Gras, but as I have said so many times to people all over the country, Mobile was the originator of Mardi Gras. We started this fantastical holiday and I think we should get more recognition for that. For Theo, growing up in Georgia, Mardi Gras is a time of fun and immersing himself in the local culture. For me, a native Mobilian, as near and dear the history of Mardi Gras is to me...it also means loud drunken crowds and being pelted in the head with beads.
It was always so exciting as a kid waiting with anticipation at all the free goodies we could catch. I never appreciated the trouble my parents took getting all us kids downtown and keeping track of all the little heads. I was constantly counting to 5, even though I was wearing one and Theo was also. I still counted them. The crowds were crazy, but I only had to yell once at a lady after shoving me so she could get by to her drinking friend. Singing lessons and being able to project really comes in handy!
Hannah has the best seat in the house, and you can tell by her facial expression she knows it!
The beginning of the parade!
Medusa
Creepy Clown
Davey Jones and his locker
Possessed Trojan horse. It even blew steam out of it's nostrils. Very cool!
Phantom of the Opera...my personal favorite!
We couldn't wait to get home to break into those moonpies! Banana flavored seems to be a throwing favorite this year. We got lots of those. The new thing is Coconut flavored which we caught one of and I ate up immediately before anyone saw it and I would have had to share.
One of the food vendors on the street. I love this time of year that we can enjoy fair food without all the creepy Carneys. And my favorite that I absolutely MUST get is a funnel cake. Man they are GOOOOOD!!!
Reluctantly I did share it with everyone. Here's Theo enjoying what is left after I got a hold of it. Hahaha! Just kidding! I ate must of that piece to....heehee....
This is Tobie's favorite, cheesy fries!

There are many more parades to come, but personally I'm good with just the one. Tomorrow night is our Military Ball! I'm really excited, we even got a limo! I'll be sure to post lots of pictures.

No comments: