Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Twinkle Toes

I don't know what has possessed me, maybe too much "Dancing with the Stars", but I am venturing to sign Theo and I up for Ballroom dancing lessons. They offer them through the community and I would love to try it out.

The funny thing about this idea is that I have no rhythm and two left feet. But I have this memory from when I was a teenager at one of those dreaded youth dances. A Brother was there who knew how to dance and he graced some of us Young Woman on how dancing really feels like, none of that swaying back and forth in a mundane circle. He twirled and glided me all over the dance floor. Of course I did my fair share of toe stepping, but he was more than gracious about it. I felt like I was flying and I have to admit that even though he was 20 years older and married and completely not my type I fell in love a little.

So with this memory I have decided that I want that connection with my Theo. He has reluctantly but timidly agreed to humor me in joining a dance class. I still haven't committed to it myself, but the idea is there and I am almost dedicated. I just have to get over the jitters about making a fool of myself.

(Having this dress that Ginger Rogers has on would make it all well worth it, but I'm not confident enough in showing up to my first lessons in it. Maybe one day.)

5 comments:

Anna said...

go for it...I wish I could (and that Elias would) :)

& the memories of youth dances....ones I wish I could forget (I think I have blocked a few)...well at least some of them (maybe there were a few good memories thrown in there) :)

The Lemon Family said...

i have been obsessed with dancing with the stars to the point of wanting to get my kids to do ballroom(jeremy has put his foot down no boys)but i would LOVE to get jeremy to take ballroom with me just for something to do together...so if you all do it i can use theo did it with kara so you should too :)

Cyrus and Annie said...

My father-in-law took lessons with his wife and LOVED it. He is a super-uber macho dude but he loved REAL dancing. You should do it. I'm going to as soon as we get settled...

Apotatoe said...

GO FOR IT! Mike and I took dance lessons almost every night on a cruise a couple of years ago and had a blast! We got to learn a different dance every night. I love dancing, and it was so fun to share it with him.

Kara and Theo said...

Hey April! So glad to see you on here! Have you started a blog? Thanks for the tip, and WOW on the cruise! Theo and I are really itching to go on one. Hopefully next anniversary in July.