Sunday, February 15, 2009

Funny Valentine

This year our Valentine plans didn't really take off. I had the perfect date night thought up of seeing 'Wicked' at the Orpheum Theater in San Fransisco and then eating at some fancy-schmancy restaurant. But we just couldn't get our plans to solidify. Also with a nursing baby it may have been too hard to pull off anyway. So we ended up just going out to eat and then doing some light shopping with baby in tow, with a 7pm curfew. I was a little underwhelmed, but as I try not to be too disappointed I began to reminisce about Theo and my very first Valentine's together.


We hadn't been married a year when we celebrated our first Valentine's together. Theo was working at a fancy restaurant, Aubergine's in downtown Fairhope, Alabama and I was working for a Disability lawyer in Mobile. I believe he had that day off, because he was home when I arrived there and had made me a romantic dinner of stuffed pork tenderloin. I had flowers and candlelight. It was very romantic! At least for a few hours. I woke up in the middle of the night and just started puking my guts out and I couldn't stop. Once it began to feel as if my innards were going to be extracted I decided that I needed to go to the hospital. They hooked me up to pain medicine and an IV to rehydrate me. I had been struck with food poisoning. Theo got sick to, but he threw up once and he was just fine.


As I lay there on the bed I dozed in and out of consciousness I thought I was back home, then I imagined my black cat laying on the bed and jumping off slinking off under the hospital curtain. It was a weird sensation with crazy incoherent thoughts mixed with deep sleeping. Theo stayed with me the whole time, and within hours I was feeling well enough to go home.


So even though this year was a little less than what I would have liked, it is such a sentimental memory that I wouldn't trade for all the 'Wicked' tickets in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kara,
Beautiful Blog, I especially like the Header Photo!
I noticed that you were currently reading The Five Love Languages of Children.

I would love to invite you to visit Dr. Chapman's new blog: Gary Chapman.

Check out other free resources and become a part of the community of bloggers who are following this blog.


Sincerely,
Kristen
Moody Publishers